Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Distractions & Balance

So. I'm still working on blogging more, which obviously is not my strong suit lately, but I'm determined to somehow figure out how to get back into it on a weekly to bi-weekly basis. I think that seems like a reasonable frequency to blog, because honestly, my life is not exciting enough to blog about every day.

For instance, I've spent a better part of the morning trying to get an Icy Hot patch to stick properly on my neck/shoulder area, and I also spent too much time trying to convince my dog not to destroy the cats' toys and let the cats actually play with them.

Below is a destroyed Peeps Bunny-style cat toy, with catnip filled stuffing torn out of it, as evidence that my dog does what she wants: 


My work days usally alternates between getting distracted on the internet until I turn it off, yelling at the dog and cats to behave, actively writing and getting work done until the animals do something again which interrupts my flow, and then I go back to getting distracted by the internet. And that's how I write books.

Some people have children, like more than one, sometimes even infants, and they manage to write books. I am in awe of them. Literally in awe. I don't know where their energy and motivation comes from, but it must be some magical deep well within them that I am forever jealous of.

I don't write with the same ferocity I once did. I knew at the time, when I was writing 10-14 hours a day for several weeks at a time, that it wasn't sustainable. I knew that if I tried to keep it up forever, I would risk burning out in a very severe way.

And if I'm being honest, I do think that I got close to that point. Especially in conjunction with the amount of time I was spending online, reading reviews, responding to people, obsessing over publishing. Everything was happening at once, and I was still trying to write books overnight, and nobody ever really taught me about balance.

I mean, I've heard of moderation, obviously. I know that exists and people do things in moderation all the time, and from what I'd heard, it was supposed to be very healthy. But I've always been all or nothing - it's a feast or a famine, no in between.

The past year or so, in particular, I've been trying to create more of a balance for myself - with my friends, family, pets, and with my eating habits, sleeping, and exercise, and of course, with my career, writing schedules, and online interactions.

If you look through my pasts blogs, I was blogging pretty regularly until November 2012. Then there is a rather stark drop off, where I was still blogging, but it wasn't the same. The big change was my gramma's death in December 2012.

After that, I started reevaluating everything. Looking at my life and how I was living it and how I would want to be living it in ten years. Losing Nanny was hard for me in a lot of ways, but one of the good things that came out of it was my realization that I needed to change.

So the long and short of it is that I'm going to make a concerted effort to make blogging part of my balance. It is something I have enjoyed a great deal in the past, and I think it's a fun way to connect with people about a variety of things.

But alright. I promise this is my last blog where I write about not blogging. The next one will be entirely different.